A radiator flush is one of the most important things that you should do at specific intervals. If you neglect to do it, it could lead to larger engine issues. This is why most experts recommend radiator flushing. There was a time when radiator flush could be done only by experts or mechanics, however, today, it is different.
Today, radiator flushing could be done by anyone. However, based on the type of radiator flush product, the time consumed would be different. If you need to know how long a radiator flush take does, then it is best recommended that you read the product directions and reviews. Remember, the time taken to flush a radiator depends on two basic things.
- Type of radiator flush product
- How you use the product
If you do the radiator flush in the right way, the time consumed could be limited to a maximum of 2-hours. Here is the right way to do it to reduce the time consumed.
- Step 1: First, check if the radiator and the engine are hot or not.
- Step 2: If the radiator is hot, wait for 30-minutes or more until the radiator is cooled down.
- Step 3: Jack the front of your automobile and life the automobile. Place a pan under the radiator to collect the coolant fluid.
- Step 4: Wear rubber gloves and safety glasses before, opening the radiator drain knob. Remember antifreeze in the coolant is poisonous, if exposed to it, it could hurt you, wear masks, glass, and gloves if possible.
- Step 5: Now, open the pressure cap on the top of the radiator and then open the drain plug. Check if the coolant is spilling into the pan.
- Step 6: Wait for at least 20-minutes for the entire coolant to be drained. Once, the whole coolant is drained, close the drain valve.
- Step 7: Now, pick the radiator cleaner and distilled water and pour both into the radiator. Use a funnel to make sure the cleaner fluid and water into the radiator.
- Step 8: After filling the radiator with this fluid combination, put the pressure cap back on. Turn on the vehicle now and allow the engine to heat and radiator to start functioning. Most commonly, stepping on the accelerator for 10-minutes continuous could heat your engine, this will allow the fluid combination to flow through the engine and radiator.
- Step 9: Turn off the engine now and then allow the engine to cool down for 15-minutes.
- Step 10: Once the engine cools down, open the pressure cap on the top and then drain the valve below the radiator. Once, the entire fluid is drained, use tap water to flush the radiator until the color of the fluid coming out of the drain valve is clean.
- Step 11: If you find the water from the drain valve clean, flush the radiator with distilled water and wait for another 15 minutes for the entire system to be free of water. Close the drain valve then.
If you follow the instructions mentioned above, the entire radiator flushing could be done within 1.5-hours. However, before purchasing a radiator cleaning fluid check your automobile user manual, some car manufacturers recommend using a specific type of radiator flush fluid.